Lentil, ginger and carrot soup
A vibrant soup that's quick to prepare and delicious to eat, made with ingredients that are available all year round. The fresh ginger gives this a lovely, warming kick; feel free to add a chopped chilli with the pepper if you want to dial it up a notch.
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 150g split red lentils
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 lemon
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots, grated
1. Heat a saucepan over a low heat, add 2tbsp olive oil. Gently sauté the onion with a pinch of salt until translucent - try not to let it colour.
2. Add the ginger, red pepper and bay leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the lentils and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, carrots, stock and lemon, and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are tender and begin to break down. Fish out the lemon and bay leaves, taste for seasoning and add more salt or some pepper if you wish, serve.